Nearly a year after my first post on this blog (that I’ve been incidentally paying for this whole time 🙄), I think I’m finally enjoying the lemonade. A year ago, I was at six bad things– by the end of 2017, I was up to at least a dozen. We can add the following to that list: 7) getting rejected a second time by the aforementioned ex following a panic attack-induced “I love you” text, 8) a potentially life-changing health crisis, 9) the end of another close friendship (that was probably never a friendship to begin with, in retrospect), 10) semi-frequent & thoroughly incapacitating panic attacks, 11) a truly brutal post-bootcamp job hunt, and 12) getting unapologetically breadcrumbed by someone I genuinely caught the feels for (possibly sometwo? two people? separate things, obviously– jury’s still out on the second thing. which is chronologically the first thing. confused yet? #metoo).
2017 was rough. Really rough. Arguably my personal worst year on record. But now that I’ve counted all the negatives, I also want to acknowledge the positives. In 2017, I also:
- Found out who my real friends are. One of them is a talented musician with an awesome music blog that you should check out pronto. 😘
- Got into and completed the software engineering bootcamp.
- Got a software engineering job!
- Let some long-lost people back into my life…
- …and ditched (almost) all of the toxic ones.
- Underwent massive (and, at times, unwilling) personal growth and experienced a lot of adulting “aha!” moments.
- Visited California, Oregon, and New York, where great times were had by all.
- Stumbled across, fell in love with, and successfully convinced my parents to adopt the best dog ever.
- Got into the best shape of my life. 💪🏻
- Rediscovered that alcohol is not a prerequisite to having fun.
- Got really, really good at packing lunches and mealprepping.
- Landed in a career that I love.
In short, I have amassed a lot of material to write about over the last year. For now though, as I stay up later than my self-prescribed bedtime binging Friends (again) because it’s one of my go-to background shows, I just thought I’d say:
Yes, I’m still kicking. And I’m doing fine. Not “Italian Job” fine– genuinely fine. For the first time in awhile, actually.
Stay tuned for more posts, and dear god may I never use the catchphrase “stay wanderlustrous” again. 🤦🏻♀️